Enroll a Child
Could your little one use a Big?
It all starts with the right role models. And Big Brothers Big Sisters is the place to start a relationship with one.
You'll feel the impact as much as your child.
A study for Big Brothers Big Sisters found that kids matched with a Big Brother or Big Sister:
- are more confident
- are more likely to steer clear of drugs and alcohol
- do better in school
- get along better with their family and friends
- feel better about themselves
Safety from the start.
Your child's safety is extremely important to us. Big Brothers Big Sisters conducts a thorough background check on every volunteer in our program, and every relationship is closely monitored and supported by a professionally trained program manager.
Does one or more of the following describe your child?
- Culturally and/or economically disadvantaged
- Exhibits poor social skills
- Has few friends his/her own age
- Lacks adequate support and attention from a stable adult
- Underachieves in school
- Is overly dependent
- Has older siblings who have had significant problems with social or community adjustment
- Is insecure with and does not trust adults
- Has poor self-concept
To enroll as a Little Brother or Little Sister, the child must:
- Be between the ages of six (6) and thirteen (13)
- Reside in the county in which he/she is applying (Jackson, Jennings, or Scott)
- Want to participate in the program and be willing to cooperate fully with guidelines of the agency and staff
- Have a parent that wants him/her in the program and is willing to cooperate fully with guidelines of the agency and staff
- Be appropriate to work one-on-one with a volunteer. Children in need of more intensive help will be referred to other services.
- Not live in conditions that would jeopardize the safety of a volunteer.